Spice-Rubbed Pork Chops


My evening schedule has gone back to normal. I have the chance to put some thought in to my meals. And from here on out, I have to be really good about my food intake and exercise routine.


You see, in about 57 days, I will wake up at 6am on Saturday morning, lace up my running shoes, and somehow convince myself that I can finish a half marathon without seriously hurting myself. I am not a runner at all. I think all those years of baseball coaches using running as a form of punishment has severely scarred me. I just find no joy in it what so ever. It's so boring. So then why am I going to do it? Simply put, my girlfriend wanted to do it and she didn't want to do it alone. People train year round for this thing. I just ran 4 miles this past Sunday and I can't feel my butt cheeks. Actually, that's not true, I can feel them since they are so sore, but I can't sit down like a normal person. I'm thinking about cutting back on the wine for these next two months. Tired muscles don't enjoy too much alcohol in the blood.

I was surprised how easy this was to prepare. We paired the pork with two of our standards: couscous and asparagus. The toughest part about the dish was slicing both of the inch-thick pork chops into four half-inch chops. I think it might be time to upgrade to premium knives, these just aren't cutting it anymore. Making the rub is easy and straightforward and I hope you aren't picky about getting your hands dirty. Remember it is called a rub for a reason.

Don't be shy. Use up all of the rub. Why would you waste all that flavor? 231 calories, 32 g protein per serving
Here's what you will need:
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 3/4 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 - 4 lean pork chops. 1/2 inch thick
1. Preheat broiler. Coat broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray.

If you have never used the broiler in your oven, think of it as an upside down grill. My broiler has two settings: Hi and Lo. However, I know most ovens only have a broil setting on the knob. You definitely have to get to know your broiler just like you have to get to know your grill. Here's is something to think about though. The broiler should always be preheated so it can heat the food with an even temperature. Also, just like a grill, you don't want to constantly open and close the door since the heat will escape and leave your meat undercooked. You should adjust the height of the tray to be about 4 inches from the coil. And get some good tongs that will keep your food intact, never ever use a fork to flip the meat because it will puncture the meat, lose the delicious juice and dry out.

2. Combine spices in a shallow bowl. Add Worcestershire sauce and stir until a smooth, even paste forms.

3. Rub paste on both sides of the chops.

4. Broil the chops 4 minutes per side. Once both sides are cooked, remove chops from the hot pan, and let them rest on a plate for 5-10 minutes.

From start to finish, this meal shouldn't take you longer than 15 min. If you do make couscous with the chops, you know that it only takes 10 mins for it to cook.

Keep in mind that each chop is one serving.

For the printer friendly version, click here

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?

Subscribe Now

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP