Your wine and Calories

I know. Who cares about calories when you are enjoying wine? I try to not care about this either. Actually, I never really think about it. However, I have had some e-mails asking me to at least show you some numbers. Well, thanks to the USDA National Nutrient Database, I had an easy way of looking up all the most popular wine varieties.


Don't worry though. Wine is still the healthiest of your adult beverages. I used 5 oz as the serving size for the wines. Safety guidelines also refer to a 5 oz serving of wine as one drink. Since a 750 ml bottle of wine typically has about 25 fl oz of wine. You are usually able to get 5 servings from each bottle.

Here are the varieties and the amount of calories in each serving:

Whites

Riesling 118
Pinot Grigio 122
Sauv. Blanc 119
Chardonnay 113
Champagne, Brut 131


Avg. Whites 121

Reds

Pinot Noir 121
Syrah 122
Zinfandel 129
Merlot 122
Cabernet Sauv. 122
Port, Ruby 185 (4 oz)



Avg. Reds 125

Now that you know how much each glass has, you can work it in to your daily intake. Here's something to keep in mind. Cut out one soda or one starbucks coffee and you could easily replace it with a rewarding glass of port after dinner. You can even have that square of dark chocolate too.

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?

Subscribe Now

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP