Cold Weather and Hot Caribbean Chicken Curry


Another frigid night last night. I have come to the conclusion that my dog loves the cold weather because the lower the temperature gets, the more he asks me to go outside. I shouldn't complain because he at least asks to go outside although I would understand if he just wanted to pee on a towel inside. IT'S TOO COLD! Silly groundhog and his stupid shadow. I had the urge to just warm up inside like that Campbell's soup commercial where the snowman melts and he turns in to a boy. Problem was, I didn't want just any ordinary soup. Chicken and stars is so plain and boring.


Luckily, I flipped through one of my many cookbooks and I found the recipe for Caribbean Chicken Curry, thanks Family Circle. For thai food fans out there, you know how good curry is, not only just the flavor but the way it fills the air within a square mile of the stove. The nice thing about this curry was the cayenne pepper. I was going to beat the cold by spicing up the belly. And as always, I knew it was going to make enough for leftovers.

260 calories. 3 g fat. 29 g protein. Got your attention yet? Just wait till you taste it. Oh Curry you so fine, you so fine, you blow my mind. Hey CURRY!
So here is what you'll need:
  • 1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut each in to 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2- 1 large onion, sliced
    • if you love onions, use the full onion, I only used half an onion
  • 2 cloves, minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
    • if you like it spicy, go with 1/2 tsp, that's what I used and I was sweating
  • 2 2/3 cups nonfat milk
  • 2 cans (10 oz) fat-free condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1 large mango, chopped
    • if you have never used mango, use mango with a ripe reddish skin, watch out for the large seed
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice
1. Spray the bottom of a large pot with cooking spray. Heat to med-hi.
2. In a bowl, whisk milk into soup
3. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook in pot for 5 min until lightly brown or cooked through.
4. Remove chicken from pot.
5. Lightly spray pot again and add onion and garlic. Cook until softened about 3 min. Stir in curry powder and cayenne and cook for 1 min.
6. Add the soup mix to onion mixture. Add chicken, tomato, mango. Partially cover and simmer for 30 min.
7. Serve over brown rice.

Talk about hitting the spot. The warm soup consistency coated my bones and insides to make me forget about the winter. Not to mention, adding it to rice made it feel like a really hearty chowder. We just ate the curry out of a bowl with a spoon. Watch out if you're lactose intolerant, you might need a lactaid. It was an easy meal to make even after I accidentally dropped the measuring spoon with the curry. Had to go for a last minute spice run but it was worth it. It was great as is, but my girlfriend and I are debating on how to make it more unique and give it more color. You might see this dish again down the line. Who know's it might have a little basil, maybe some bell peppers, even some shredded coconut. Like I've said in the past, I love playing with food. Recipes are just guides and shouldn't be followed all the time.

Click here for printer-friendly version.

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?

Subscribe Now

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP